Which best describes you? Personally, I have been challenged lately by a feeling of heaviness, a feeling like everything I do is done with a weight vest on. Have you ever experienced this? Maybe you have but thought it was just a normal part of the Crossfit experience. Most people doing Crossfit workouts are pretty open about sharing, but it seems when admitting their shortcomings, many are more likely to be tight lipped.
That means many will be left to figure all this out on their own.
As I plotted my strategy for uncovering solutions and answers, I jotted down a ideas to look into in order to get to the bottom of why this may be happening. Getting back in to "fighting shape" is a huge motivator for doing the work to uncover the answers. The answer has got to be here, right?
The BIG 4
- How clean am I eating? Quality of food, Am I consuming gut irritating foods that lead to inflammation? Skipping Meals at all?
- Am I getting enough protein to start?
- What am I doing on my cheat days?
- How's my hydration?
- Having Alcohol at all, too much?
- Macro nutrient (Carbs, Fat, Protein) Ratio and Focus (weight loss, mass gain, performance)
- Post workout nutrition, yes, no, clueless
- use Books Like The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf to refresh your mind about nutrition
- How many hours?
- Wake up from alarm, or self?
- Dark room?
- Broken or Unbroken?
- Dreams-frequency and content?
- Home Bed or Traveling Frequently?
- Using/Needing Sleep aids ?
- Resource: Book -Lights Out Sleep, Sugar and Survival, by T.S Wiley
- Group or Alone?
- What percentage is Met Con/O-Lift/Powerlift?
- Quality of Recovery- Slow, Sore, quick and complete?
(Rate level on 1-10 scale with 10 being super intense and overwhelming)
- Type (intense/constant)
- Job related?
- Training related (Exercise is Stress for the body)
- Family? Self-imposed?
- Mental? Physical? Emotional?
- What are you eating drinking that could be causing stress (Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, Inflammatory foods)?
- What has worked in the past to relieve stress? (Massage, outdoor, playing!)