Are there Dreams Beyond your Wildest Dreams?
Wildest dreams..it sounds so romantic, so well, dreamy. If you’ve ever let yourself go to that place of unabashed dreaming, you know it’s a very special place indeed. It feels like a vacation from real life in the midst of it all.
But sadly, most of the time it just that, a dream, a cloud, a fleeting wish of future life.
Why is that? Why can’t we go from dreaming to making our dreams a reality? What if the dreams we dream are not even the “scratch of the scratch” of what is possible? Why do we time and time again play so stinkin’ SMALL???
First off, let me tell you that I am as guilty as anyone.
But, lately a few things have come up that have started me thinking about why my dreams stay on the shelf and not in my hand. As someone who believes in the God of the Bible, I know that He promised that He can do way more than I can EVER imagine. So the things I’ve imagined, no matter how ginormous, are not even anywhere close to what He has planned for me. Even if you don’t share my same faith, I bet dollars to doughnuts that you are doing the things to get by and not the things that you dream about. But WHY WHY- WHY do we do that????
Here are some reasons that I have experienced and some I have seen others do to cancel out the big dream life we desire.
1. You really don’t believe it. You don’t believe it’s possible, likely, probable, logical, or realistic.
2. You don’t feel worthy. Whatever it is you don’t feel you are good enough, talented enough, big enough, smart enough and on and on
3. Your brain can’t go there. Your brain is ruling, your heart doesn’t have a strong enough presence to overrule your brain and so you can’t imagine anything big or better at all.
4. You won’t let yourself risk it. No rejection, failure, disappointment or risk for you…it’s all safety, all the time.
5. You are scared of the work. There may be change, sweat, tears, stretching, resistance to overcome, hurts, scars and maybe a bit of brokenness.
6. You don’t want people to think you are nuts. You’ve ventured out, you’ve tried things that didn’t pan out, you went out on the limb and even those who love you the most made you feel like you were way off base.
Recognize any of these reasons? Lived any of them?
I could say I am the poster child for many of these excuses and reasons why I was not dreaming big enough.
At 48 years old, I am keenly aware of how life is fleeting. Time is passing whether I pursue my dreams or not, whether I believe or not, and there will come a time that I may be sitting in a rocking chair with only REGRET as my constant companion.
We have got to drop off all this negative thinking, even if the reason we believe these things is based on a reality. We need to start somewhere, to do one thing differently in any and all areas of stinking thinking and small-minded dreaming!
Try these to get out from under the grip of the small dreaming:
1. Find reasons to believe in yourself and your dreams. Stop the habit of negativity and pessimistic attitude. Replace the negative with the positive possibilities.
2. Stop having the “worthiness” pity parties. Stop associating with people who keep reinforcing your self-pity. You are worth your dream and no one else is qualified for having what you dream. No more wasting time or energy on going down the small-minded living.
3. Fill your brain with stories of overcoming, success, joyful living, conquering adversity and make the potential for you to have your dreams very much within your reach
4. Take a chance or chances. Risk something, do something outside your comfort zone, even just a teeny bit and build from there. Lifting weights grows muscles but no much without discomfort or even pain. Just get comfortable being uncomfortable. Being comfortable is overrated anyway.
5. Work is not a bad 4-letter word. While some things will come easily, most things take work. The bigger the dream, the more work is needed. You’ve got to make friends with work, and you will grow and begin to enjoy the benefits of true effort applied to dreams, goals and plans.
6. Stop caring what people think. The people who want to drag you down from the heights are the people who are paralyzed their fear of falling. Love them, but let them know that yes, you may be a bit crazy in their eyes, but to NOT do this is crazy in yours…GOOOO, stop caring about the opinions of others. Remember, whatever you fear, you will serve. Do you want to serve your dreams or someone else’s fears and opinions?
Brian Tracy hits it on the head,
I hope you will be encourage and energized by this quote……I just love it, so one of my faves!
“I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words each hour, each day, everyday, until the words become as much a habit as my breathing, and the action which follows becomes as instinctive as the blinking of my eyelids.
With these words I can condition my mind to perform every action necessary for my success. I will act now. I will repeat these words again and again and again.
I will walk where failures fear to walk. I will work when failures seek rest. I will act now for now is all I have. Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labor of the lazy. I am not lazy.
Tomorrow is the day when the failure will succeed. I am not a failure. I will act now. Success will not wait. If I delay, success will become wed to another and lost to me forever. This is the time. This is the place. I am the person.”
I hope that your week is driving you in the direction of your dreams or at least your can start to get free of the challenges that have kept you stuck!
Keep dreaming Big and BIGGER!
If you are not already receiving our updates by email, be sure and connect with me here!
Leave a Comment