Help! I Hate to Exercise!
By Annie Berryhill
First off, let me say Thank You to you. If you are reading this, then you understand yourself and know what it is like to hate to exercise. You are not alone by any stretch. There are many reasons why people feel this way … which one sounds about right for you?
-Exercise takes up too much time
-Working out is confusing, I don't know what to do
-I am too (fill in the blank) _____________________ (short, tall, skinny, fat, girlie, weak, lazy, broke, depressed, lonely,tired, etc)
-I need to lose weight, and exercise doesn't help at all, its a waste of time
-I am embarrassed to go where the fit people are
-It feels so overwhelming, it's pointless to try
Maybe you can hear your voice here, or maybe you have another reason (read .. EXCUSE) for not getting moving.
From here on out, it's going to be massively important for you exercise haters to change your mind. That doesn't mean I am going to try to convince you to Like to Exercise, instead, the goal here is to figure out what the heck is the reason behind hating it.
As a disclaimer, I am not a mind-reader, or a shrink. NOPE. I am simply a person who people ALWAYS tell their inside, dark and deep stuff to which has allowed me to understand some patterns a little better.
So the first question is:
1. Why do you feel the need? Is it peer pressure, or a desire to "exercise" because somebody told you? Is there an external reason like losing weight or sleeping better?
2. How do you feel about that need? Meaning, if the goal is to lose weight, but in your heart or mind you are not committed because:
- you don't believe it will work,
- you have tried and failed in the past;
- The sacrifice is not worth the work
What part of that feeling is weighing in on your motivation to exercise? In the end, your motivation to do ANYTHING will be determined by the strength of your WHY. "The Why's gotta make you cry!"
Does it make you cry
Always being the one to sit on the sidelines and being to big or out of shape to have fun adventures?
Buying larger and larger sizes to stay fashion-current and your options are getting more and more limited with each extra pound?
To think of your family losing you at an early age because of an avoidable disease?
Truth be told, I am driven because I NEVER, EVER want to be in a state where I cannot do, move or live on my own strength. I will always run, row, swing, swim, jump, lift, throw, climb, push, pull as much as I can as fast as possible until the day I leave the Earth.
5. Who is your ALLY? Think about that person who would get up with you early to go on a walk or to the gym? Who would your biggest cheerleader and NOT let you sink into your stinky pile of well-used excuses? This is the exact person that you cling to, call out for and rely on to keep going even though … (list your current bad excuse here)
The bottom line, we as humans were meant to move and do physical things. Though we no longer need to rely as heavily on our bodies to carve out an existence, our biology has not changed. The more we move, run, row, swing, swim, jump, lift, throw, climb, push, pull as much and as fast as we can, and rest to do it again, the smarter, healthier, happier, more fit we get. And we get to live longer without help then if we didn't move.
So … NO MORE EXCUSES
Let's close the gap together …
Let me be your partner in the pursuit of your goals!
You are DESIGNED to live
LEAN – STRONG – HEALTHY!
Anne (Annie) Berryhill is a Crossfit Level 1 Trainer, USA Weightlifting Sports Perfomance Coach, Crossfit Athlete and competitor who owns and operates OC Fitness Revival in Orange County, CA. Services include personal and group training, nutrition classes and counseling, as well as providing incredible health-improving supplements to help people to make the most out of what they've got.
(949) 280-3407 Anne@anneberryhill.com